“Care The Skin You’re In”
25 TIPS FOR HEALTHY WEAR
1. Wear untreated organic cotton or other natural organic fiber made clothes. This is the top choice for wearing healthy.
2. Wear natural fabric made clothes such as cotton, linen, wool and silk.
3. Avoid super tight synthetic (or any) underwear and innerwear. Genital area is most sensitive part of human body for chemicals absorption. In case of men, New York University’s dermatology medical journal suggests “The scrotum (pouch of skin containing testicles) must be recognized as a skin area with remarkable permeability. It provides a unique percutaneous doorway for the entrance of drugs into the system and is thus uniquely susceptible to toxic and irritant agents”. American Journal of Public Health suggests “wearing of tight fitting clothing, coupled with nylon underwear and/or a panty hose, creates more warmth and moisture in the vaginal and cervical areas, thus producing an environment favorable for colonization of Candida albicans and other yeasts”.
4. Wash new clothes before you wear. New clothes come with various chemical finishes from garment washes and bare hand handling from packing workers and store handlers.
5. Avoid “wrinkle resistance” “non-iron” “stain repellent” “water repellent” or any kind of “repellent” “retardant” “resistance” clothing. They have a coat of chemical on them that repels water and other stuff to enter the fabric. Some of the chemicals quoted on fabrics are known to be hormone disrupters.
6. Avoid synthetic wear. Yes, you read it right. Avoid synthetic wear. If you are looking for good quality synthetic wear, well, there is none. King of synthetic, “polyester”, is man-made by melting and combining two type of oil derived plastic pallet. Avoid wearing plastic. Let your skin breathe. Its biggest organ of our body and shines on top of our inner body. Keep it cool.
7. Avoid synthetic wear while sports and fitness. Cotton sucks the sweat, synthetic does not. Cotton shirt becomes heavier with sweat and does not dry soon. That’s the reason we feel uncomfortable with cotton when we sweat a lot. Synthetic does reverse, so we like synthetic. Let the cotton do what nature has made it for. Absorb. Skin breathes as cotton breathes. Synthetic fabric does not breathe. Change your cotton shirt between workouts.
8. Wear light color cotton clothes, specially for babies and toddlers. They have much less weight of synthetic dyes and chemicals on it, literally. Light color fabrics have to deal with 30% less processing. You can go a step further and buy light color organic cotton clothes for babies. Babies skin is most sensitive and soft. Let natural organic cotton take care of it.
9. Avoid super tight skinny jeans and leggings. They can compress nerves and reduce blood flow to lower legs. This can lead to swelling and numbness. Let the blood do what it is supposed to do. Flow.
10. Limit super tight top wear. They squish your upper body. Longer you wear, it can trigger upper body fatigue and stomach ache. Limit the time you wear them.
11. Avoid colored underwears. Dark colors have more synthetic dyes and chemicals and can irritate sensitive skin people. Use pastel colors. Organic undyed is the best option.
12. Beware of kid’s sleepwear with flame retardant. Flame retardants are known to have PBDEs that are linked with thyroid problems, brain damage, fertility problems and even cancer. Avoid them.
13. Wear loose fitted clothes in hot and humid environment. Chemical coated fabric keeps rubbing against the skin in a sweaty, hot and humid places. It might lead a condition called intertrigo (rash in the flexures or body folds). Obese and heavier people working in hot and humid climates can catch “textile contact dermatitis”.
14. Avoid underwire bras. They may be made of unsafe metal and can hurt your skin. Tight bras, synthetic bras are linked with breast cancer. This is an important issue. Read more.
15. Avoid tight shoes. They squish our feet, same as tight clothing. Sacrificing foot comfort and health for sake of tight trendy designer shoes in not a good idea. Tight and improper size shoes have been linked with blisters because of friction, corns caused by rubbing and pressure and of feet feeling tired and crammed.
16. Wear 100% cotton socks with light colors. Avoid spandex in socks as they tighten on our feet. Our feet are a pair of fleet that take us everywhere. Don’t let synthetic socks infect them. Cotton fabric breathes. Feet are in socks and then in synthetic shoes. Cotton socks help them breathe.
17. Avoid doing dirty laundry with dirty detergents. Most detergents contain harmful chemicals and leave residues on clothes and are infused into our skin. Skin is to eliminate toxins and not to breathe. Use detergent made with green technology. Even better, use organic homemade detergent and softener. Read my eye opener article “Are your cleaning products clean” for tips.
18. Kids fire retardant clothes come with a harmful chemicals linked with life threatening diseases. Avoid them. Kids have most sensitive skin. Cover it with light colored organic cotton clothes.
19. Flip flops are loose on feet but if we wear them for a long time, they are not good for feet. They give no support and do not protect the feet. For short time flip flops are fine, we need a more structured shoe that protect feet and ankle.
20. Tight neckties for men can cause circulation problems in neck. Studies have seen modest changes in cerebrovascular reactivity.
21. Avoid clothes suggesting dry cleaning. Dry cleaning brings harmful chemicals and we wear them. If you have to, look for organic and natural dry cleaning places.
22. Wash used, secondhand, gifted or donated clothes. They might carry germs on them.
23. Avoid tight belts. They can cause pain and tingling. You might want to loosen that belt after big meal. Read more.
24. High heels are unsafe. They shorten calf muscles and increase pressure on back and knees. Avoid them as much as possible.
25. Natural fiber made clothes are healthy for consumer and for planet earth. They are sustainable, recyclable and biodegradable. By opening our closet for them, we are not only taking a step forward towards healthy lifestyle, responsible consumerism but also helping planet earth to recover from environmental damage.
The best foundation you can wear is glowing healthy skin.
Wear healthy and save your skin.
(Images courtesy Pixabay.com